Integrating External Communities

Home Forums Community Summit Discussion Topics Integrating External Communities

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jenny Wong
    Participant

I ran PHPNW14 in Manchester, UK a week ago and for the first time WordPress was laughed at. It broke my heart and I ended up giving a talk on “Integrating Communities”. The PHP community who were there responded apologetically and took away my suggestions of how to integrate the PHP and WordPress community. Its very early days but their attitude is hopeful.

As relationships are two way streets, I would like to propose a discussion on how we as the WordPress community can help bridge that gap.

I believe that bridging the respect between both these communities can help with other diversity issues as respect is for every one.

My slides from my talk at PHPNW14 : Integrating Communities

People’s reaction from my talk : Joind In review

Siobhan
    Participant

+1

Josepha
    Participant

Great topic.

+1

Dan Maby
    Participant

+1

Topher
    Participant

+1 My city is VERY tech savvy, but even PHP is usually laughed at, let alone WordPress. Integrating into those other cultures has been tough.

Drew Jaynes
    Participant

+1. I think we as a community sometimes get sucked into the “WordPress bubble” and it’s important to step backward and realize we’re part of a larger community that we could be a part of as well. And I think you’re correct that it takes effort from both sides to promote synergy.

tinakesova
    Participant

+1

Tim Nash
    Participant

+1 But also just to add Jenny is being exceptionally modest about what her talk achieved and demonstrates that it’s about opening dialog within the wider community, I think it’s important for everyone to remember WordPress is part of the PHP community wether people like it or not!

I would encourage folks who haven’t already to take a look at http://www.brandonsavage.net/the-truth-about-wordpress/ so even if the discussion is how do we change peoples minds one at a time it’s a discussion worth having.

+1

David Wolfpaw
    Participant

WordPress seems to be not the most liked portion of the PHP community, even though WordPress is much larger. I was representing WordPress at an open source conference last month, and got my fair share of animosity from the “better” platforms in attendance.

We were approached by the Drupal group to get some integration with WordCamp Orlando this year. I’d love to field ideas on how to integrate as a community, while still keeping it WP.

Jenny Wong
    Participant

If this gets picked as a topic I can share what is happening in the UK after the conversations that happened after PHPNW14.

Would love to hear everyones thoughts on this globally.

Siobhan
    Participant

As part of this, it’d definitely be interesting to discuss how we can create cross-platform events with other FOSS projects.

Japh
    Participant

+1 🙂

Jen

+1. I know @nacin has good ties with the PHP community in DC/the US, and with jQuery, but we could be doing more as a project for sure.

akrabat
    Participant

+1
    Separate islands only hurt everyone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Community Summit Discussion Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

October 25-26, 2014