Strengthening accessibility support in themes and plugins

Home Forums Community Summit Discussion Topics Strengthening accessibility support in themes and plugins

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

WordPress has the potential to set the standard and agenda for accessibility in open source, but this requires dedication and investment in education and implementation. Current accessibility support in WordPress themes and plugins is low and this is becoming a problem. We need a discussion on how to push accessibility in themes and plugins to the forefront in a practical way to make WordPress accessible to everyone.

Aaron Hockley
    Participant

I don’t know that I have much to add personally to this, but it seems like a worthy topic for discussion.

Trisha Salas
    Participant

I completely agree with this and will help in whatever way I can. I’ve started a set of tutorials for the ‘accessibility-ready’ tag and hope to get those out for theme developers soon.

I think anything we can do to raise awareness will be beneficial.

Joining you in supporting this topic.

Cyndy Otty
    Participant

Most definitely in support of this.

B.
    Participant

+1

KatherineMancuso
    Participant

+1

Rian Rietveld
    Participant

+1
    I hope someone who can make decisions inside WordPress will participate too.
    Otherwise we’ll be preaching to the choir.

Graham Armfield
    Participant

This definitely gets my vote. +1

Theme guidelines can definitely be applied to plugin development – there’s plenty of scope for spoiling an otherwise accessible website.

Edward Caissie
    Participant

We’re adding/added accessibility “guidelines” into the WP Theme Review Team guidelines but promoting the actual inclusion of the code is also needed. I think this would be a great discussion to have.

Sharon Austin
    Participant

Definite +1

Adam Silverstein
    Participant

+1

David A. Kennedy
    Participant

I won’t be there in person, but definitely support this. 🙂

I’m particularly interested in how we can educate people in the community through simple documentation and education efforts, especially through the Codex, the Accessibility team or WordPress.tv.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Community Summit Discussion Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

October 25-26, 2014